All Pets Animal Hospital Job Shadow Mission Statement: To allow local students the opportunity to experience the field of veterinary medicine.
What is a job shadow? A job shadow allows students with an interest in veterinary medicine the opportunity to witness the job in a real-life situation. The job shadow is a short term unpaid learning experience which gives students the opportunity to:
• explore their career interest outside the classroom setting
• evaluate the different types of veterinary careers
• ask All Pets Animal Hospital (APAH) employees questions related to their position, experience and education
• celebrate the human-animal bond with the APAH team
• observe surgical procedures, inpatient nursing procedures, laboratory testing, and other procedures that may be scheduled that day. Students under 18 are not allowed to be present while radiographs are being taken.
• Job shadowing is primarily observation, but as time allows and where safety permits, students will be allowed to have some hands-on experiences.
What are the rules for job shadowing?
• Job shadow candidates will be between 11-25 years of age. (Parents, please consider your child’s level of maturity and ability to follow instructions before submitting a Job Shadow application on their behalf.)
• Job shadows will be accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 3 pm (times may vary depending on the needs of the student and APAH schedule).
• Job shadows must wear closed-toed, non-slick shoes. Jeans without holes or rips are acceptable.
• Job shadows may bring a sack lunch to the hospital and eat in our break room. Refrigerator and microwave are provided. Students under 18 are not allowed to leave the premises except with their parent or guardian.
• Students will be expected to follow all instructions given to them by any employee of All Pets Animal Hospital. Students who interfere with patient care or do not respond to requests intended to ensure their safety or the safety of our employees or our patients will have their Job Shadow experience terminated and their parent/guardian will be called to pick them up.
• Students may not remove any patients from their kennels without explicit permission from an APAH employee.
• Students are allowed to have their cell phones with them, but they may not photograph our patients or any medical procedures.
• Students will be given the opportunity to see veterinary medicine in real life. They are encouraged to ask questions, and become involved in procedures to the extent they may safely participate. These activities cannot take place while students are texting or talking on their phones, therefore use of cell phones is strongly discouraged except during planned breaks or lunch.
How may I be considered to job shadow?
• All potential Job Shadow candidates must submit the Application below. If the Job Shadow is under 18 the application must be submitted by a parent or guardian. Read the sample Liability Release. A parent or guardian will be asked to sign this form in person before your child will be allowed to shadow.
• Once accepted, you will be contacted by Traci Easter, APAH Manager to confirm acceptance. Please do not assume acceptance until you have been contacted.
• Once all Job Shadow arrangements have been made, the parent/guardian will be asked to come in person to our hospital to sign the Liability Release (sample below.) The parent/guardian may sign the Release the morning they drop off their student to shadow, or before the scheduled date, but the student will not be allowed to shadow until the Release has been signed
Liability Release Form (sample – Must sign in person on-site at All Pets Animal Hospital.)
JOB SHADOWS AND/OR PARENTS OF JOB SHADOWS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 ARE REQUIRED TO READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AND SIGN BELOW.